Thursday, December 4, 2008

I Hated Magic Before it Was Cool

[Disclaimer: I’ve been asked by the BBC to write a series of articles that have little to relevance or importance to the modern day world. This is the first entry in a 6-part series.]



Let’s look back in time for a moment. A happier time when people were not afraid to be themselves. When people were not filled with hatred for something they just didn’t understand.

Do you remember these classic lyrics to the popular 1965 Lovin Spoonful song hit:
'Yeah, do you believe in magic
Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free'


Now, let’s walk forward in time again and contrast that with the following more recent Sunset Rubdown lyrics:
'Was it magic or Midas that touched you?
And by magic, I mean “trickery.” And by Midas, I mean “faith.”
By magic, I mean “trickery.” And by Midas, I mean “faith.”

What does this mean, Spencer Krug….By magic you mean “TRICKERY”??????? What madness do you speak, I beseech you, TELL ME! Since when was magic synonymous with trickery? I always thought that magic was the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces. That’s certainly not trickery in my book (my book, by the way is Webster’s).

In my own personal life (as opposed to my public (health) life) there are 2 people that I know for certain hate magic. As I’ve stated in a previous blog, the number of friends that I have is only outweighed by the number 5. In other words, I have 4 friends. If two of those friends hate magic, then in epidemiologic terms, we’re looking at a magic hating prevalence (MHP) of close to 50%.

I’m not sure where these negative emotions are coming from. Was it The Never Ending Story perhaps? That movie has always freaked the shit out of me. But, I’m probably not a great example considering my love for magic is only outweighed by my love for beet farms. Maybe it’s something more recent like Harry Potter or the economy. Or have some of us simply lost our ability to imagine?

A great divide is developing in the world today. On one side of this chasm you’ll find those people that would like magic to never be taught to children in schools or referred to in movies and books and the like. On the other side you’ll find those of us that dream of a world filled with unicorns and dragons and potions. I know what side I’m on. Do you?
And so, go on then you non-believers. Keep thinking that hating magic is cool. But watch out, as I might just have to go all D & D on your ass.

Not even a Level 5 Protection Spell can save you from the wrath of Trex.


I welcome your questions and comments. But not your concerns.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

i <3 d and d! i made a character at astrocamp. im a level 10 sorceress! what now bitches!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Never forget that you are directly related to UJ and therefore you must guard your mental health zealously.
Some of the greatest diarists have flirted with madness (Kafka, Weil, Palin) and your three month chronicle of life in Berkeley has caused concern (I know we are not supposed to be concerned, but we are). The lows have far outweighed the highs: the Jamba Juice near-tragedy, the camper shell abduction, the alien abduction, the harassment of neighbors with dead animals. The only high during this period is the election of Obama and I don't recall that being directly commented upon in this myopic blog. I do remember receiving a text message from Trex on election night that read, and I quote: "I can hardly contain myself!" Speaking of which, I have recently rediscovered that Rush Limbaugh is as ugly as he is insane.
I'll never forget the sign at Federal Drugstore, right next to venerable Chaucers, that read, "Rush, we don't carry oxycontin."
Let me reiterate....mental health is precious.

Dania Maxwell said...

you are redic. and by redic what I really mean is red ic. but nobody will ever know what ic means?